House Buildings Insurance Case History

Mr and Mrs W put in a substantial claim with their insurance company when they noticed several large cracks developing in part of their house, but the company denied liability. The company's loss adjusters declared that most of the subsidence had occurred two years before the policy was taken out and that some repair work had been carried out, probably shortly after the war, since when the house had been insured with a number of insurers.

Mr and Mrs W got their insurance broker to contact the previous insurers but they too denied liability on the grounds that nothing had been reported to them while their policy was current.

The Ws decided to persist with their claim and eventually succeeded with the first company.

Moral: zfyou are considering changing your insurance company, it may be a good idea to have a limited structural survey carried out before you switch.

Read up on The Proposal Form now

House Buildings Insurance

You're covered for damage to the building itself, permanent fittings (such as central heating and built-in cupboards), outbuildings, drives, walls and fences. These policies tend to be very similar in the risks that they cover you against. Typically, they'll include: damage by fire, lightning, explosion, earthquake, theft, riot and malicious persons, storm and flood, aircraft and things falling from them, subsidence, landslip and heave, impact by falling trees or vehicles or animals, breakage or collapse of radio and TV aerials, escape of water from tanks and pipes and oil... see: House Buildings Insurance

More money