Holiday Insurance Continued

Points to note

- If you're taking out your insurance through the tour operator, the information you get about the policy is often covered only briefly on the back page of the holiday brochure. Make sure you know exactly what the conditions are and, more importantly, the>- Some tour operators insist that you take out the insurance that they've arranged. This practice is legal, and at present the only thing you can do if you're not happy with the policy is to book your holiday through another operator.

- If you find a travel agent pushing you to take out a policy instead of, or in addition to, the tour operators, don't assume that it's a better policy. Remember that agents get paid commission on the policies they manage to sell to customers. From time t>- Don't rely on the reciprocal health agreement the UK has with the EC countries and some other countries. It's a useful back-up but has severe limitations.

- Look for policies which include a 24-hour medical emergency service. Make sure it's an English-speaking service that you can call on.

- Watch out for the condition which excludes 'hazardous activities'. For example, this can mean riding a hired moped or water-skiing. Get a written statement from your insurers as to how they view them when it comes to paying out on claims. And if you kno>- Some insurers won't pay claims resulting from pregnancy at all; others won't pay if you were pregnant when you took out the policy, or if you'll be in the last two months or so of pregnancy when you travel.

- Check your house contents insurance to see what cover it gives while your belongings are away from home. You may find it covers everything, or at least valuable items, removing or reducing your need for baggage cover under your holiday insurance.

- Contact lenses are not usually covered. In many cases the same applies to camera lenses, since they are considered 'fragile'. Check whether they are or could be covered by your house contents insurance.

- If a policy allows for cancellation of your holiday in the case of the illness or death of a close relative or business associate, beware of the general phrase used to describe that - 'unforeseen circumstances'. If the relative or business associate was>- If you have a medical complaint which you know about when you take out insurance, you can often still get insurance cover, providing you are not travelling against your doctor's orders or going abroad for medical treatment.

- If you've got children, look out for those policies which give good discounts for them.

- Holidaying abroad by car means you need cover not just for yourself and family, but for the car too. Consult your normal car insurer - you can usually get your car insurance extended to cover the trip.

For more on Charge Cards - Click Here

Holiday Insurance

What it covers

You and your belongings while you are on holiday and travelling there and back. Typical cover includes medical expenses, cancellation or cutting short your holiday due to illness, jury service, redundancy or some types of domestic crisis (for example, if your house is badly damaged by fire or burgled), loss or damage to your belongings, loss of money or travellers cheques, a limited amount to spend if your baggage is delayed or you are delayed, personal liability for injury you cause to someone else or damage you cause to their property.

Types of policy
Holiday Insurance

More money